2013 MGA Minutes

2013 PLMGA Minutes

January 14, 2013, at the Bay Club

Present:  John Cragoe, Dan Holtz, Roger Reighard, Jack McKay, and  John Germain

Meeting called to order at 3:30 pm by John Cragoe.

1. Motion to approve the minutes of the December 10th, 2012. Passed.
2. Budget – Roger Reighard  Bank balance for the beginning of the 2013 year:  $2582.54 (includes Member/Guest reserve)
3. Tournament Chair – Dan Holtz

  • a. Agreed on essence of the following proposal to recruit new members:
  • 1. Player has option to play forward (gold) tee, if 70 years of age (during 2013) and have a handicap of 25 or more (adjusted monthly).
  • 2. Players qualified for forward tees must indicate option when signing up for weekly play.
  • 3. All prize money generated within the forward tee flight would be distributed within the flight.
  • 4. Closest to pin (KPs) awards will be distributed amongst all players participating, no matter the flight.
  • 5. Forward tee players are invite to participate in the Ludlow Cup, however there needs a minimum of two to compete in Ludlow Cup competition.  If only one qualifies for the Ludlow Cup, play would be from the white tees.
  • 6. Home and Away participation will be from the white tees.

4. PLMGA 2013 Application Form – John Cragoe

  • Sample letter of application was reviewed.  The form will be available in the Pro Shop and will be included in the PLA billing for February

5. Spring Membership Meeting:  Wednesday, April 17th, at the Bay Club
6. Member – Member Tournament: Tuesday and Wednesday, July 9th and 10th
7. 2013 Calendar of Golfing Events will be posted on the PLMGA website.
8. Next meeting of the PLMGA Board is on Monday, March 11th, 3:30 pm, at the Bay Club

Temporary Secretary, Jack McKay

February  no meeting
March no meeting

April Board Meeting Minutes

April 8, 2013; 3:30 PM; Bay Club

Attendees:
President: John Cragoe
Tournament Chair: Dan Holtz
Secretary: Tim Propeck
Treasurer: Roger Reighard
Handicap Chair: Jack McKay – Absent
Social Chair: Mike Moggio
Past President: John Germain- Absent
PPast President: Terry Lyle
At Large Member: Don Carlson- Absent
PLGC Representative: Darren Posey- Absent

Call To Order – John Cragoe at 3:30 PM

Minutes from last Board Meeting – Tim Propeck presented the minutes from the last Board Meeting held on Feb 11. Motion was made and seconded to approve.

Finance- Roger Reighard gave an update on the budget and membership status. The budget called for 70 members this year and it appears we will reach the goal. No recent expenditures were required. There are a few known members who have not yet paid their dues, but should be current shortly

Tournament Status- Dan Holtz reported that only one member has signed up for the Gold Tee competition. There are a couple more who might be interested who are not yet playing this season. The Eclectic scoring starts 4/17. Terry Lyle agreed to be the Eclectic scorekeeper. Only weekly games that are based on individual scores will be used for the Eclectic.

Social Activities: Mike Moggio reported on the status of the members social on 4/17. The quote for food is $15 per head, and the total budgeted is $750, which should be more than enough. Number of sign-ups is very light. Reminders will be sent out to everyone.

Greens Committee Report: The April Greens Committee was pushed to 4/9, so there was no report.

Golf Shop Report- There was no representative from the Golf Shop (again), so no report was given. John Cragoe noted that the Member/Member tournament was scheduled for July 9-10. He also noted that the Ludlow Cup was scheduled for 9/18. Finally, he stated that the sign up sheet for the first Home & Away event with Wing Point scheduled in May is posted in the locker room.

The next meeting is scheduled for Tues, May 13 at 3:30 at the Bay Club.

Tim Propeck- Secretary

May  no meeting

 

June 10, 2013; 3:30 PM; Bay Club

Attendees:
President: John Cragoe
Tournament Chair: Dan Holtz
Secretary: Absent
Treasurer: Roger Reighard
Handicap Chair: Jack McKay
Social Chair: Mike Moggio
Past President: John Germain
Past President: Terry Lyle- Absent
At Large Member: Don Carlson- Absent
PLGC Representative: Darren Posey- Absent

Call To Order – John Cragoe at 3:35 PM

Minutes from last Board Meeting – Jack McKay presented the minutes from the last Board Meeting held on April 8. Motion was made and seconded to approve.

Minutes: Minutes of the April 8th PLMGA Board meeting were approved.

Measuring Tapes: Acknowledge the purchase of measuring tapes for MGA events

President’s Cup: 42 participants, updated handicaps used, and all matches are to be completed within a week.

Forward Tees: Delayed until next year. Not enough participants.

Close to the Pin.  Participants in MGA events can win up to four KP awards in one day.  There is no limit.

Treasurer’s Report:  Current balance is $6,578.49, with 73 members.

Member-Member Tournament: July 9 and 10;  Six, six, six format, 26 teams, dinner following 2nd day play, shot gun starts.

Green’s Committee: Watering the practice areas, and in bunkers, signage for the first tee for visitors, and greens are excellent.

Niners and PLMGA Exchange:  Suggested idea of having an exchange between the two men’s groups

Meeting Adjourned at 4:25.

The next meeting is scheduled for Tues, July 8 at 3:30 at the Bay Club.

Tim Propeck- Secretary

July  no meeting

August

Aug 12, 2013; 3:30 PM; Bay Club

Attendees:
President: John Cragoe
Tournament Chair: Dan Holtz
Secretary: Tim Propeck
Treasurer: Roger Reighard- Absent
Handicap Chair: Jack McKay
Social Chair: Mike Moggio
Past President: John Germain
PPast President: Terry Lyle
At Large Member: Don Carlson
PLGC Representative: Darren Posey

Call To Order – John Cragoe at 3:30 PM

Minutes from last Board Meeting – Tim Propeck presented the minutes from the June Board Meeting which were approved.

Jack McKay reported that he is still receiving bank statements at his address. He said the bank requires Board Minutes approving a change of mailing address. After discussion it was approved to list the Golf Club address for bank mailings so the address will not have to be changed each time a new Treasurer takes over. The address is:

PLMGA
751 Highland Dr
Port Ludlow, WA 98365

Tim Propeck will communicate this to the bank.

Upcoming Club Championship was discussed. Both Men’s and Women’s events are on same days, so Men’s tee times will start early. Entry fee is $25 for three rounds. Tee times will be set by handicap for first day, then based on low gross for next two days.

John Cragoe outlined scoring system for selection for Ludlow Cup teams. The event is scheduled for Sep 18, and there will be no other MGA event that day. It was decided that hats will be given to team members this year and they need to be ordered within two weeks. The pairing event for team selection is scheduled for Sep 12 at Niblicks. Soft drinks, food and a cash bar will be available.

John Cragoe presented the Finance update. Bank balance is currently $5255, and we are on target for expenses for the year.

Jack McKay reported that new handicaps effective 8/15 are posted.

Submitted by Tim Propeck

Sep 9, 2013; 3:30 PM; Bay Club

Attendees:
President: John Cragoe
Tournament Chair: Dan Holtz
Secretary: Tim Propeck
Treasurer: Roger Reighard
Handicap Chair: Jack McKay
Social Chair: Mike Moggio
Past President: John Germain
PPast President: Terry Lyle
At Large Member: Don Carlson
PLGC Representative: Darren Posey

Call To Order – John Cragoe at 3:30 PM

Minutes from last Board Meeting – Tim Propeck presented the minutes from the Aug Board Meeting which were approved.

Dan Holtz presented latest Ludlow Cup standings. It was decided that the tie breakers for spots will be based on Club Championship, and Ludlow Cup results. Daren and Vito are team captains and players will be matched based on handicaps. John Cragoe and John Germain will work with the Captains to finalize teams. Lists will be published to members and those on teams will be asked to respond if they can’t play. The upcoming Wed play (9/11) will count for points. Team hats have been received and will be distributed when players sign in on 9/18.

Sunland Home and Home starts in Ludlow on 9/11 and will finish at Sunland on 9/25. Kitsap is the final H&H scheduled for 10/16 in Ludlow and 10/24 there.

10/11 was selected for the Employee Appreciation round.

Ball Buster will be scheduled for 10/2.

Finances are right on plan.

Jack McKay reported that some members are not logging scores. Dan H. and Jack will review scores from Wed. events and see who is not logging scores. Next step would be to approach those members and encourage them to be consistent on posting.

There was a discussion on the menu for the party after the Ludlow Cup. Veggie tray was not winning votes.  Menu will be discussed with the club. Soft drinks and water will also be provided. Alcohol will be available for purchase.

Mike Maggio gave an update on the menu for the final banquet. Decision made to offer both pork loin and slices of beef, mashed potatoes, same hordoeuvres and deserts as last year.

John Germain reported on the Greens Committee. He says the general perception is the course started in great shape early in the season and has eroded over the summer. Vito will continue to summarize work plans and finish dates to show what is being done.

John Cragoe reported he will send out a call for nominations for board members to be voted on at the final banquet.

Terry Lyle reported on data from the Eclectic scoring showing differences between high and low handicap players on various hopes, and the comparison to how the holes are rated on the score card. There were some big differences between handicap ranking and score differential ranking. Timber 4 had the largest spread as the no. 2 handicap hole, but 12th in score differential rank.

Meeting was adjourned at 4:19.
Tim Propeck, Secretary

 

October

Port Ludlow Men’s Golf Association

Board Meeting Minutes

Oct. 14, 2013; 3:30 PM; Bay Club  (DRAFT EDITION)

Attendees:

President: John Cragoe
Tournament Chair: Dan Holtz
Secretary: Tim Propeck
Treasurer: Roger Reighard
Handicap Chair: Jack McKay
Social Chair: Mike Moggio
Past President: John Germain
Past President: Terry Lyle
At Large Member: Don Carlson
PLGC Representative: Darren Posey

Call To Order – John Cragoe at 3:30 Pm

Minutes from last Board Meeting – Tim Propeck presented the minutes from the Sep Board Meeting which were approved.

The two last events for the season were discussed. Both will be tee time starts. The game on 10/16 will be individual low gross and net. The 10/23 game will be the traditional 5 club event.

Roger Reighard presented a summary of current finances, which were right on plan. Upcoming outlays include pay outs for the Eclectic ($380), trophies and awards ($500), and the expenses for the end of year banquet. Cost per person for the main course is projected at $15/head. Mike Moggio will purchase appetizers, deserts and beer and wine at an expected cost of  $8-10 per head. Mixed drinks will also be available for a “donation” of $5. Plan is to charge attendees $10 per head at the door.  There should be roughly $2200 available to fund prizes for the raffle at the banquet. John Cragoe will send out reminder for members to sign up for the banquet and will highlight the cost at the door and the donation for mixed drinks. John Cragoe, John Germain, and Terry Lyle will trade off welcoming attendees at the door for the banquet.

Jack McKay reported he spoke to the person who was not logging scores and asked him to do so. The board agreed no further action was required.

Mike Moggio provided an update on preparations for the banquet. Darren will man the bar. The board agreed that John Cragoe should also invite Adam and Torrin to attend.

John Germain reported on the Greens Committee Meeting:

  • Logger has been called to remove fallen trees on #7.
  • Cat tails on #6 are being cut. Also will need to dredge the pond.
  • A new piece of equipment (Sand-Pro) is being purchased to improve traps.
  • Sand is being held in inventory for spring.
  • Cart path on #1 is complete.
  • Other cart path repairs are being looked at. Issue is how to get cement  in place.
  • A berm on #18 in front of houses on the right side of  fairway, similar to what was done on #11, is under consideration.
  • Irrigation system is under review to determine how to get full coverage of the course.
  • Air hose near outdoor tables has been removed.
  • The bridge to the forward tees on #15 is being removed.
  • Plan is to renumber holes and have Ludlow be an 18 hole course.
  • Ball washers are empty in the winter to prevent water freezing and cracking the washers.

Darren reported that the new ball machine is working with tokens and keys should be working this week.

The Home and Home planned with Kitsap has been cancelled due to lack of players on their end. John Cragoe reported that Tom Jones would like the board to agree to a split of costs when a Ludlow player can only attend one of the two matches. His proposal is $25 for the participant at Ludlow, and $30 for the participant at the away match. It was moved, seconded and approved that costs should be split in this manner when different players are participating in the two matches.

Final adjustments were made to the ballot for the upcoming election of officers at the banquet.

Meeting was adjourned at 4:16.

Tim Propeck, Secretary

 

November

 

December